September Home Maintenance E-minder
Labor Day is our signal to get back outdoors and enjoy the autumn! It is also the time we usually see some tropical winds. I always recommend keeping water in good supply so you can avoid any rush if a Hurricane develops. Keep that hurricane/emergency kit ready and hope you don't ever have to use it. If that kit isn't in shape, see the Hurricane Prep page.
Have you ordered your free annual credit report? If not, go to www.annualcreditreport.com. And in case you didn't know this already, you can purchase a home insurance rider to cover lost wages, work, and expenses if your identity is ever stolen. It's a minimal expense that can go a long way to repairing any damages. Here are your home maintenance to-dos for Sept:
- Have your furnace checked and serviced, if necessary.
- Have your chimney cleaned.
- Check for broken or cracked glass and damaged screen or storm windows. When the winter comes, critters will look for food and shelter under your home, so look at the crawl access too.
- Check for loose putty around window glass panes and fix so a driving rain stays outside.
- Clean debris out of window wells, gutters, downspouts, and storm drains.
- Inspect all soffit vents and other venting systems to make sure they are clear of debris.
- It's prime lawn care month for our region, so check out my Gardening Calendar for recommendations.